Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Are tiger cruises only for those serving on carriers?

I've been hearing a lot about tiger cruises but from my research I've only seen them offered for people who are at the time on a carrier. So my question is, are they carrier only or can other surface ships have them too?Are tiger cruises only for those serving on carriers?
No... as someone mentioned, they ARE done on small-boys (Frigates, Destroyers, and Cruisers) also. In my 26 years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, I was aboard for 9 on a carrier, and 14 on small boys.



MrsJVB is incorrect regarding "same gender guests only"... in 1997 I had my daughter along (one of my female shipmates accepted responsibility for being her "berthing buddy") while returning with USS Kitty Hawk from Hawaii to San Diego following our WestPac.



I also had my youngest daughter along for a Tiger Cruise in 2000 aboard USS Stennis.
all surface ships offer them when the CO okays it. that being said.. the same restrictions apply.. no spouses or GFs allowed, minimum age is 9. . same gender guests only.

ETAL: I said MINIMUM age is 9.. and spouses/GF are only alowed on Family day cruises..which are different than Tiger cruises( they are not overnight)

Bookworm: yes but YOU were not your daughter(s) sponsor..,a female had to be. that's what I meantAre tiger cruises only for those serving on carriers?
Nope, small boys do them as well. It's just normally harder to get people to a small boy, so you don't see it.



I did one on the way back from my first deployment. We picked the PAX up in Mayport, FL, and then sailed 2 days back up to Norfolk, VA for homecoming. This was on a DDG.
My son is on the USS George H. W. Bush CVN 77, and he has already signed my nephew and myself on a tiger cruse, and I'm really looking forward to it. There must be an age limit, because my son asked me how old is his cousin and after I told him 12, he said "ok, he's old enough".
I've served on a carrier but have no idea what a "tiger" cruise is.
@ "hello", my son is also serving on the USS George H. W. Bush CVN 77

No comments:

Post a Comment