Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How does going to college online and working on a cruise ship work?

I have been trying to find an answer to this question to no avail.

I would like to be able to take online classes while working on a cruise. Only about 9 credit hours, and they would be hybrid (if your not sure what this is please look it up). No difficult classes like Algebra or Biology. Just basic psychology or a humanities class, etc.

Also, the job I am looking into is admin work, or sales associate.

How does internet work for a crew member on a cruise ship? Would this be feasible on my down time? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated from those who have work, or are working on a cruise ship.



Thanks!How does going to college online and working on a cruise ship work?
Doesn't sound very feasible to me. Crew members work long hours. Internet is slow and expensive.
Your work day will be 12-15 hrs/day, every day for 6 - 10 months straight.

In between you have safety training and you need to clean your cabin, have food and some time off. Besides this, the internet connection is slower than what you are used to from land, more expensive and disruptions are frequent. So, I do not see it as being very feasible.How does going to college online and working on a cruise ship work?
Which cruise ship will you be working on? I have never worked on one but I just got off the carnival ship Imagination, and I got to talking to our waiter. He said that the employees work 7 days a week, no less than ten hours a day, so finding time might be difficult, I am not sure if they get free internet or not either.
Are you aware that working on cruise ships generally means 12+ hours per day of work, shared quarters, and VERY expensive internet, even for crew members who are not senior officers? Doing any sort of online class is not feasible.

No comments:

Post a Comment