Friday, March 9, 2012

I need help with some mathematical word problems?

-sigh- no matter how easy it may be, I am awful at word problems. Is there any website that can help or something? Hee is an example:



On a trip from Death Valley National Park to Redwood National Park, the Sampson family wants to travel 420 miles in 8 hours of driving. What must be their average rate of speed?



I need to form and solve an inequality for this problem.

I can easily solve inequalities, but I cannot form them out of word problems. I don't know why, but I just can't.



Explain please? =/I need help with some mathematical word problems?
They want to travel a distance of 420 miles

In a total time of 8 hours



So let the average speed (rate) = x

Rate multiplied by Time = Distance

x multiplied by 8 = 420

So 8x = 420

Divide both by 8

and you get x = 70 miles per hour



Hope this helps

I need help with some mathematical word problems?
speed = distance divided by time so let s = average speed

then s = 420/80



It's not really an inequality unless it has "at most 8 hours" or something like that

No comments:

Post a Comment